With the pre-graduate scholarships the Novo Nordisk Foundation wishes to enable ambitious students to become deeply involved in a research project embedded in excellent research environments at universities, hospitals, or other research institutions.
The scholarships target students enrolled in studies at Danish Faculties of Health, where the student does not have the possibility for a longer research project as part of the normal study programme. The ultimate goal is that the scholarship will open the eyes of the student for the possibility of a future career involving research.
Application rounds will be open in spring and fall.
- The application must be submitted by the supervisor of a named student. The supervisor should be an established research leader at a Danish university, hospital or other research institution.
- The scholarship can be used for the student to be involved in a research project abroad, but the student must have a Danish supervisor, and the scholarship must be administrated by a Danish research institution.
- It is possible to apply for only one named student per application. A supervisor can submit two applications for pre-graduate scholarships in a single application round, but it must be for two separate projects, and two different students.
- The student must be enrolled at a Danish faculty of health, in a study, which allows only a short master's thesis/research project of up to 30 ECTS (i.e. primarily stud. med. and stud. odont).
- The research project must be performed full time for a minimum period of 6 months, and the student must in the application declare to do so. I.e. a part-time research project conducted while taking courses or having a job on the side is not applicable for funding. The full project period can be a combination of a research project period, which is part of the studies programme, and the student taking leave/vacation from the normal studies programme to dedicate extra time for the project. It is not a requirement that the students take leave from their normal studies during the pre-graduate research project.
- It is possible to apply for scholarships of 6-12 months duration.
- Having another active grant from the Novo Nordisk Foundation does not exclude the supervisor of the student from applying to this scholarship, and vice versa.
- If the project has already started, it is possible to apply for funding retroactively, as long as the project is still ongoing, and not near completion, at the time of ‘earliest start date’.
The total grant capital in 2018 is DKK 3.75 million. Scholarships from DKK 75,000 (for 6 months) to DKK 150,000 (for 12 months) can be applied for.
The scholarships fund up to DKK 12,500 per month in a period of 6-12 months, which can be used for running costs of the project, salary for the student, and administrative costs (up to 5%). If the student is on leave from their normal studies programme, while conducting the research project, the salary of the student must be DKK 10,000 per month. If the research project is part of the student’s studies programme the salary can be up to DKK 10,000.
It must be clearly stated in the application (and the budget) how much of the research project is part of the student’s studies programme (if any), and how much is conducted while on leave (if any).
The application must be completed and submitted using the foundation’s application system, which can be accessed on the left.
It is important that the applicant carefully reads the ”Information and Guidelines for Applicants”, which is accessible via the link below, before initiating the application process, as this document contains the complete call, as well as detailed instructions for the application.