It is becoming increasingly clear that some of the most complex scientific challenges only can be addressed through interdisciplinary efforts. With the Exploratory Interdisciplinary Synergy Programme, the Novo Nordisk Foundation seeks to strengthen the synergy between researchers, across disciplines, organisations, and national borders.
The goals of the Exploratory Interdisciplinary Synergy Programme are to:
- Enable creative and novel, high-risk/high-gain interdisciplinary research
- Support early-stage attempts at attacking such novel interdisciplinary ideas
- Stimulate an emerging interdisciplinary research culture that spans across scientific disciplines and techniques
- Break down or overcome the barriers that exist between the different disciplines
- Strengthen and internationalize Danish research
The project should be based on a novel research idea, where an interdisciplinary, high-risk/high-gain challenge is at the centre. The programme supports projects where 2-4 research groups collaborate (a main applicant plus 1-3 co-applicants).
The programme supports exploration of un-tested, high-risk/high-gain ideas. The project period will support establishing pilot data providing basis for continuing into a more complex and expanded project stage. If there at the application stage already exists pilot data, the applicants are encouraged to consider the Interdisciplinary Synergy Programme.