NNF Laureate Research Grant
NNF Laureate Research Grants are for outstanding established scientists to come to Denmark to strengthen their groundbreaking research programs. These grants provide funding for research leaders to conduct large and long-term projects with transformative potential. The NNF is seeking to support exceptional scientists working within any area of biomedical and/or biotechnological sciences.
- An applicant must be a principal investigator with an independent research group that s/he has directed for 7 or more years in total.
- An applicant may have any nationality and must be employed as a scientist outside of Denmark. An applicant may not have an employed position in Denmark during the application process.
- The host institution can be anywhere in Denmark and must be a university, university hospital, public research institution or other non-profit organization.
- Up to 2 NNF Laureate Research Grants will be awarded in 2020.
- Grants up to DKK 50 million (EUR ~6.7 M, USD ~7.4 M) for a period of 7 years. Up to DKK 14 million may be utilized for establishment of the laboratory during the first year, with following years funded at up to DKK 6 million per year.
- After 5 years of research supported by the NNF Laureate Research Grant, the grant holder may apply for one extension period of up to 7 years. Extension period funding may be up to DKK 5 million per year, with a limit of DKK 35 million in total.
The application process consists of two stages. Stage I applications must be completed and submitted using the NNF’s application system following the instructions in the “Information and guidelines for applicants” pdf, found on this website when the system opens. Additional essential information regarding eligibility, funding and the application process is found in this pdf.
Up to 4 applicants will be invited to stage II. The major elements of the stage II application will be a comprehensive research program proposal and a letter of commitment from the host institution in Denmark. Stage II applicants will be invited to the Novo Nordisk Foundation for an interview with the NNF review committee.
Evaluation of applications and selection of grant awardees will be based on scientific excellence, originality and potential impact.